Data and Information
Discovery Metadata System
A web-based system to discover Antarctic datasets collected by UK funded scientists. Contains a what/where/when/why overview of each dataset and in many cases points to the data itself.
Data Access System
An online data access tool to discover, visualise and access the BAS scientific data holdings quickly and easily. Focus is currently on atmospheric data with other disciplines to follow.
Marine Geophysical Data Portal
An interactive web tool allowing users to search for and visualise marine geophysical data collected on BAS cruises. Data currently served includes multibeam bathymetry, magnetic data and sub-bottom profiler data.
NERC Airborne Geophysics Data Portal
The NERC Airborne Geophysics Data Portal provides direct access to airborne survey data including ice thickness, radio echo sounding, magnetics and gravity surveys.
Marine Metadata Project
The Marine Metadata Project aims to enhance the availability and accessibility of BAS marine data. This system is in development and more information can be found here.
Antarctic Digital Database
The SCAR ADD is a seamless compilation of topographic data for Antarctica to 60?S. It is free for scientific and operational use. Version 6 was released in June 2012, and includes updated content and a completely revised and easy to use web interface.
Polar View delivers information about sea ice direct to ships operating in the Southern Ocean. It uses several types of satellite imagery to deliver a comprehensive, detailed and up to date picture of sea ice extent and distribution. Better knowledge of sea ice conditions contributes directly to improved ship safety and efficiency.
ICEMAR Web Interface
The EC-funded ICEMAR project is a GMES pilot service delivering sea ice information products directly to ships navigating through sea ice in the Arctic. The ICEMAR Web Interface (IWI) is an online tool for monitoring this operational activity. This tool is currently under development and only accessible to registered ICEMAR users.
IWS Image Streaming Viewer
The Image Web Server viewer is a very small client-side viewer for accessing imagery served by ERDAS Apollo / Image Web Server. Gigabyte-sized images can be easily accessed even via unreliable and slow networks, e.g. on ships via satellite communication links.
South Georgia GIS
A web-based rapid visualisation and download tool for topographic, management and scientific data about South Georgia. Data are freely downloadable for research purposes (free registration required).
BAS Geological collection
Contains over 200,000 individual rock and fossil specimens collected from Antarctica and the sub-Antarctic islands and thousands of meters of sediment core from the surrounding seabed. Specimen details are held within the BAS geological database and the type and figured fossil collection can be accessed online.
BAS Herbarium collection
A collection of dried plant specimens from the Antarctic, sub-Antarctic and surrounding continents. The largest single collection from these regions in the world with over 50,000 specimens covering c. 3000 species. All the specimen details are held in the Antarctic Plant Database which can be accessed online.
BAS Library Service
Supports the work of the Antarctic scientists and forms part of the NERC library system. The library holds a variety of resources, including books, journals, e-journals, reports, theses and some audio visual materials. NERC Open Access Repository (NORA) holds all the published research outputs of NERC and makes them openly available online.
BAS Archives Service
The BAS Archives Service preserves and provides access to scientific and administrative records created by BAS and its predecessors. The service holds a great variety of collections including scientific data in many formats such as field notebooks, drawings, annotated maps/charts, photographs, logs, reports and audio recordings.
- About Polar Data Centre (PDC)
- Discovery Metadata Catalogue (DMS)
- NERC Data Catalogue Service
- A-Z List of Datasets - A listing of available metadata and data records held in the DMS
- About Mapping and Geographic Information Centre (MAGIC)
- BAS Map Catalogue — a selection of maps published by BAS, with ordering information
- Antarctic Digital Database (ADD) — the premier source of vector topographic data for Antarctica
- British Antarctic Territory Gazetteer — list of all approved names for British use within the British Antarctic Territory
- SCAR Geoscience map catalogue — a listing of all geoscientific maps of Antarctica
- SCAR Map Catalogue — catalogue of Antarctic region maps
- South Georgia GIS — Web-based visualisation tool for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands spatial data, funded by the South Georgia Government (GSGSSI). Downloads of datasets available to South Georgia science community (free registration required)
- About Education Resources
- Discovering Antarctica - Up-to-date, in-depth and interactive teaching and learning resource for Antarctica primarily aimed at KS3/4 but with content for other ages.
Charges for Copies and Services
All environmental data and information products held by the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) are considered to be a public good and they will normally be made available for others to use and re-use. Charges will only be applied according to the BAS Charging Policy.